Local Government
Nedlands
Region
Metropolitan
Cnr Adelma & Gallop Rds Dalkeith
Nedlands
Metropolitan
| Type | Status | Date | Documents | More information |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| (no listings) |
| Type | Status | Date | Documents |
|---|---|---|---|
| (no listings) |
| Type | Status | Date | Grading/Management | More information | |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Category | Description | ||||
| Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 23 Oct 2018 | Category B |
Category B |
City of Nedlands |
| Municipal Inventory | Adopted | 27 Apr 1999 | Category B |
Category B |
City of Nedlands |
| Classified by the National Trust | Classified | 11 Aug 2003 |
|
Heritage Council | |
The building is a visually prominent and distinctive example of the Inter-War Romanesque style of architecture, (as defined by Apperly, Irving and Reynolds), and a fine example of the work of prominent designer/builder Horace Costello. Its aesthetic qualities are valued by the WA community as evidenced by its inclusion in the local Municipal Inventory. The chapel is a particularly good example of a 'modern' interpretation of the Romanesque style and represents a significant attempt to reconcile one of the only accepted styles for church architecture with a desire for modernity in Perth in the 1930s. The place also has Social and Historic significance. The chapel and monastery buildings have been well maintained and are understood to be in virtually original condition
Whilst the Carmelite Monastery title covers the entire block limited by Gallop Road, Adelma Road, Sutcliffe Street and Hotchin Street in central Nedlands, it is the chapel and main entrance facing west in Gallop Road which is the focus of the site. The rest of the complex, including a section of bushland covering the northern half of the site, is screened from public view by a rough coursed limestone wall to Gallop Road and a pressed block wall to the rest. A bay of red face brickwork with stepped rendered coping articulates the stepped semicircular arched opening of the entrance gateway leading to an enclosed courtyard giving access to both the chapel and monastery. There is a grotto of Toodyay stone in the north west corner of the courtyard. The chapel building constructed in red face brick with a Marseilles pattern, dark/medium blend terracotta file gable roof, is a fine example of the Inter-War Romanesque style, conforming closely to the characteristics identified below. The basically simple gable end of the West front is given strength and mass by the protrusion of tower-like pilasters and is pierced by semicircular arches, crosses on the side towers and an impressive central rose window. The brick side walls are divided into five bays by sturdy brick piers and each contains a high level, round arched window with precast pressed cement inserts and diamond pattern leadlight glazing. The interior of the chapel, which is open to the public, has a timber boarded floor and plain rendered walls leading up to a barrel vaulted plaster ceiling with expressed arched ribs and featuring a simple pattern of square panels. Recessed panels in the walls carry painted representations of the Stations of the Cross. The altar rails are of marble with a baldachino over the altar and a special enclosed section close to the altar that screens the nuns from public view. The adjoining single and two storey buildings which abut the south and east walls of the chapel are designed in complementary style in plain red face brick with round arched windows and pilasters. There is a painted timber roof monitor on the middle section. The two storey wing on the south side of the complex is a later addition also in brick but in a rather non-descript post war design style with white pressed cement, precast screens and aluminium framed sliding windows. Broad characteristics of Inter-War Romanesque style: (as defined by Apperly, Irving & Reynolds; p. 197.) "Generally restricted to ecclesiastical architecture. Rugged rather than elegant. Massing consists of strong, clearly expressed shapes. Strong emphasis on the wall as a massive load-bearing envelope. Ornamentation restrained, basically simple, small scale, in key with overall strong clear massing of the building. Semicircular arches over openings. Bland interiors generally, often with smooth, light coloured surfaces. Interior spaces covered -with barrel vaults, with roof timbers not exposed. Note: The Nedlands Municipal Inventory describes the building style as Inter-War Gothic but this is clearly incorrect.
Assessment 2003
The Nuns of the Carmelite Monastery in Nedlands were enclosed on the Feast of the Holy Trinity in June 1935 and in that same year a request was made to the Nedlands Road Board to build a chapel on the site for public use. At first this was refused but eventually the request was granted, and in 1937 the chapel built by local designer/builder, Horace Costello was opened to the public. The design was closely modelled on a similar monastery in Dulwich Hill outside Sydney MSW. The Carmelite Order dates back to August 1562 when St. Teresa of Jesus established a convent for 13 nuns at Avila in Spain and in subsequent years a number of other convents were established. In 1604 a monastery was founded in Paris and from there the order spread around the world. In Australia there are monasteries in Varroville and Dulwich Hill, NSW; Ormiston, Qld; Adelaide, SA; and Bunbury, WA as well as this one. The Sisters of the order lead a sequestered and contemplative life with virtually no contact with the outside world, spending at least five or six hours each day devoted to prayer, meditation and pious exercises. Until recently no visitors were allowed into the monastery and even the builder was only able to communicate with the occupants through handwritten notes. The remainder of the nuns' time is spent on household work and the production of altar bread for the Roman Catholic churches of Western Australia. This latter is their main source of income and is vital for the continuation of the order. In 1998 there were fifteen nuns living in the monastery and one of these was a greatly respected survivor of the original group that arrived in 1935 from Sydney.
Individual Building or Group
| Epoch | General | Specific |
|---|---|---|
| Original Use | RELIGIOUS | Monastery or Convent |
| Present Use | RELIGIOUS | Monastery or Convent |
| Style |
|---|
| Inter-War Gothic |
| Type | General | Specific |
|---|---|---|
| Wall | BRICK | Common Brick |
| Roof | TILE | Other Tile |
This information is provided voluntarily as a public service. The information provided is made available in good faith and is derived from sources believed to be reliable and accurate. However, the information is provided solely on the basis that readers will be responsible for making their own assessment of the matters discussed herein and are advised to verify all relevant representations, statements and information.